PDSI 9968 – Creating a Caring Learning Environment in the Classroom
3 Credits Available
Date: June 15 – 19, 2020
Time: 8AM – 6PM daily
Lansing Catholic High School
501 Marshall St
Lansing, MI 48912
Credits Available: 3
Summer Institutes presents in:
Lansing, MI (Formerly Okemos)
This rejuvenating conference includes everything you’ve grown to expect from SI and more.
- Replenish, Rejuvenate & Remember Why You Teach
- Trauma Informed Strategies
- Relational Equity Training
- PLC Collaboration Components, including Teacher Empathy
- From STEM to STEAM: Place-Based Education Trips
- Innovative Technology
- Relevant Standards-Based Presentations
- Important Wellness Activities
- 3 Semester University of the Pacific Graduate Level Credits
- Three-credit class is a forty-five hour week (3 semester units = 4.5 quarter credits).
- University of the Pacific (non-profit/WASC approved)
- Save money with Early Bird registration and Group Rates! (3 or more from the same school)
The Summer Institutes Difference
Attending a Summer Institutes Conference provides more than just a way to earn additional teaching certification credits, opportunities to earn salary advancement credits, or obtaining professional clock hours. We want to be your partner throughout your continuing education journey. Whether it’s listening to one of our engaging presenters, attending a PBE (Place Based Education) workshop, sharing peer expertise in PLC’s, or participating in a wellness activity or stress reduction class, we’re committed to providing you with the maximum return on your investment. You’ll leave our conferences feeling refreshed, replenished, and rejuvenated. Bottom line: we care about you!
“In my 25 years of evaluating educator conferences, nobody does it as well as Summer Institutes.”
Dr. Rich McBridge, Superintendent – 2014 National President AESA
Tim Wood, Grand Valley State University,
Barb (Jeannie) Hanson and “Shelby,” Lockwood Elementary, Therapy Dogs
Jackson Kaguri, Built an Orphanage in Uganda, 2015 Waisalitz Global Citizen Award, Time Magazine, CNN featured, addressed UN Author: Victory for My Village, A School for My Village, Be the Change
Mitch Letzke, Williamson High School, Developing Yourself Outside of Teaching
On Monday, June 15th, Teachers will choose TWO of the following presentations:
- Margaret Holtschlag, Director/ Founder of the BIG LESSON, Big Lessons
- Heather Lewis, Discovery Elementary, Mindfulness
- Jen Harper, Discovery Elementary, Trauma Informed Classroom
- Becky Durling, Discovery Elementary, Let’s Go Outside – Connecting Classroom to Nature
Dave Brigham, Michigan State University, PBE – GPS Treasure Hunt at Wooded Site
Site Coordinator: Dick Comar
Dick Comar will be facilitating the Lansing SI Conference.
Dick will be covering the follow topics during the summit:
- Relationship building based on care, hope & trust
- Mindfulness practices to decrease stress
- Social & Emotional Wellness
- Subject/Grade level PLC Facilitator
- Place Based Education
- Wellness Education
The STEAM Education Movement in Schools
STEAM education is gaining popularity in schools across the country. Learn how students are benefitting from educators who have begun adopting this framework.
“Hard at work at Summer Institutes.”
Film provided by Alex Kajitani, California Teacher of the Year and nationally known as “The Rappin’ Mathematician” http://alexkajitani.com
“Taking STEM to the next level with STEAM learning opportunities and activities.”
Film provided by Art Teacher Cassidee Dermond, https://cassideesartgallery.weebly.com.
Location & Directions
This event will take place at Lansing Catholic High School located at 501 Marshall St, Lansing, MI 48912.